What did our parents ever do without the internet? I use the internet every day to research prices and products I need. I also use the internet for recipes for thing I want to make, bake and create. I have a lot of food allergies and this is such a huge help in finding substitutes of items in the recipes.
I love cheese cake but am lactose intolerant. A lot of people can not have milk products and their symptoms range from simple gas to those of us that have to run quickly to the bathroom! Since I want to take a cheese cake to our family Thanksgiving dinner and I can find no bakery in my area that makes dairy free cheese cakes that don’t cost an arm and a leg, I did my research and here is what I found!
PREP TIME: 30 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 1 HOUR
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR, 30 MINUTES
YIELD: 1 9″ CHEESECAKE
- For the Crust:
- 1 1/4 cup finely ground dairy-free graham cracker crumbs (from either store-bought or homemade graham crackers)
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 5 T. melted dairy-free soy margarine
- For the Filling:
- 4 8-ounce packages dairy-free cream cheese, such as Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese
- 1 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- Egg Replacer for 4 eggs (I use Ener-G Egg Replacer) or, alternatively, 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup dairy-free sour cream, such as Tofutti Sour Supreme
- 1 t. pure vanilla extract
- For the Topping:
- Several tablespoons of dairy-free sour cream, such as Tofutti Sour Supreme
- 1 21-ounce can cherry pie topping
- Vegan Whipped Cream, for serving (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 9″ spring-form pan well with dairy-free soy margarine. Set aside.
2. Make the crust. In a small mixing bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and white granulated sugar until well combined. Add the melted dairy-free soy margarine and mix until well combined. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom and up 2″ of the sides of the prepared pan. Place in the oven for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack while preparing the filling.
3. Make the filling. Using a standing mixer or an electric hand mixer, beat the dairy-free cream cheese in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Add the sugar and continue to mix until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Add the Egg Replacer, beating until well combined, followed by the dairy-free sour cream and pure vanilla extract, beating well with each addition and scraping down the sides periodically to ensure even mixing. Pour the filling into the prepared crust and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the top of the cheesecake is lightly browned. Spread several tablespoons of dairy-free sour cream over the surface of the cheesecake to fill in any cracks. Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely for 1-2 hours, then transfer to the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to chill completely. Top with the cherry topping, then return the cake to the refrigerator for 1 more hour. Serve the cake cold with Vegan Whipped Cream if desired.
And here is the link I used. http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/cakes/r/Cherry-Cheesecake.htm
Come and see me!