Again this year I am making my Home Made Apple Butter. Great gift idea!
Crock Pot Apple Butter
6 1/2 pounds apples – peeled, cored and sliced
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (add when finished cooking)
- Core and slice apples. I do not peel mine.
- Put the apples in a 4 quart or larger crock pot, then add the sugar and spices. Stir the mixture the best you can then cover and cook on high for one hour.
- Cook on low (stirring occasionally, I stir every hour), until the apple butter reaches a spreadable consistency and is dark brown in color. This takes 12 or more hours depending on your crock pot.
- Transfer to hot, sterilized jars (aproximately 8 half pints), I boil my jars and lids and imediately fill as I take them out of the boiling water. Take care not to fill past the headspace line. Refrigerate any jars that fail to seal properly.
To Freeze: Allow the jars to cool. Then, place in the freezer. Use within a year, for the best quality.
Slow Cooker Apple Butter
Yield: 4 pints
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 12 hours
– I used a combination of Granny Smith, Red Delicious and Honey Crisp apples for this recipe. I also increased my recipe to 9 pounds of apples and adjusted the rest of the recipe accordingly. This yielded 12 half pints.
– The sweetness of your apples will depend on how much sugar you use. I used mostly brown sugar as I try to stay away from white sugar. Adjust according to your apples and preferences.
– You can speed up cooking time by keeping it on high but you MUST stir every hour.
Visit Dragon Alley Journals Etsy Shop https://www.etsy.com/shop/DragonAlleyJournals